Senior Analyst Developer - End User Computing
Business Area: Operations
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
Across USSIM, End User Computing (EUC) models are implemented by multiple business teams in a variety of systems and languages, including; MS Excel, VBA, R, Python and MATLAB.
As part of the Investment and Market Systems team, the key focus of this role is to work with Front Office quants and analysts to; create well engineered, robust and performant components for data access/storage and model development/execution; ensuring excellent knowledge transfer, testing, support, version control and resilience/BCP.
This will enable USSIM to benefit from a scalable, strategic foundation for key analytics models, supported by a robust development, testing and runtime environment.
• Create standardised technical components for data access and storage along with model development / execution
• Analyse technical or business problems and document requirements
• Develop quality software to meet the evolving technical or business needs of USSIM, documenting as required
• Build strong working and advisory relationships with USSIM quants and analysts
• Manage delivery expectations and priorities with the Technical Architect and business teams
• Knowledge share across the team, mentoring junior developers
Managing Processes & Future Focus
• Work within agreed architectural policies and objectives, suggesting improvements as appropriate
• Ensure a clear delineation of delivery responsibility between IMS (technical frameworks) and business teams (models)
• Spread good development practises across USSIM business teams
• Enable use of “elastic” cloud computing for improved model performance, resilience and control
• Extensive experience expected in the following technologies:
o C# / MVC / Python / ASP.NET / PowerShell / HTML5 / APIs
• Good working knowledge of VBA, R, MATLAB desirable
• Expected to produce clear, concise, maintainable code
• Some experience with using cloud computing / Azure infrastructure
• Ability to share knowledge / experience
• High level of exposure to financial modelling, preferably gained through experience in a buy side institution or asset owner and willingness to undertake professional finance qualifications (e.g. IMC) in the short to medium term
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.