Senior Alternative Operations Analyst
Business Area: Operations
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
The Operations Department is organised into three teams; Public Markets, Alternatives and Onboarding/ reporting, with this role sitting with the Alternatives team. The role will provide exposure to our end-to-end process which support both existing and new alternative assets, working closely with the front office team and support areas.
Delivery New business
• Work closely with the Private Market deal teams, understanding the operational implications of a deal (accounting considerations, cash flows, valuations, and structuring considerations where applicable) – assisting in the implementation of new or existing operating models where required, ensuring understanding is documented.
• Work with external third-party providers, whilst co-ordinating with stakeholders internally, to ensure any new service provisions with a third party meet the associated deal requirements.
• Liaise with Performance, Risk, Legal, Compliance and Finance as required
Delivery existing business
• Responsible for asset set up, settlement instruction maintenance. Confirmation of an initiation of cash flows.
• Management of the efficient funding of the mandates requesting FX transactions and generation of subscriptions / redemptions and distributions
• Liaison with the Public markets funding function
• Complete cash and stock reconciliations daily and escalate as appropriate
• Complete Rift process and escalate issues as appropriate
• Operate with minimal errors
• Liaise with Aztec to ensure mandate guidelines are monitored and provide a regular summary report
• Report any events within 24 hours into accelerate
• Deliver data for Weekly operating Report
• Prepare slides for the Alternative operations oversight meeting
Third party Relationships
• Grow and develop the relationship with Aztec for Find administration
• A growing interaction with additional third party providers, whilst assisting with the implementation of a new third party framework.
• Relationship with JPM for any listed portfolios and for the unitisation of Private market mandates
• Attendance at third party service reviews as required
• Look for training opportunities to enhance skills
• Improve personal skill matrix score each year
• Build a strong relationship across the internal supply chain from initiation to delivery with all areas. Drive solutions that are scalable and controlled.
• Develop close working relationships with third party service partners
• Accounting qualification required (ACA/ACCA)
• CFA/CAIA qualification advantageous
• Deal implementation background, considering operational and finance related components
• Business/ Operational experience of working within an alternative’s manager
• A depth of product knowledge across multiple products (Private Equity, debt, both direct and through funds)
• Knowledge of fund structuring is advantageous
• Problem solving with independent though
• Experience of Bloomberg AIM
• Attention to detail
• Track record of initiative/project delivery
• Flexible approach to re-prioritise as needed
• Can do attitude
• Good Excel skills
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.