Responsible Investment Senior Financial Analyst
Business Area: Equities
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
Integration of ESG factors into investment decision making processes is a key focus of the USS Responsible Investment Strategy. The ability to combine financial and extra financial / ESG data and make the resulting analysis available to portfolio managers and the scheme will enhance the ESG integration into the activities of the scheme. Additionally, such integration supports and plays a key role the scheme’s stewardship activity.
The role of the RI Senior Financial Analyst will be to:
Lead on the financial integration of ESG factors across USS’s asset classes, providing specialist expertise which analysts and fund managers could not reasonably be expected to develop themselves
Support ESG data and integration into thematic fund allocations
Highlight ESG areas of risk and opportunity that analysts may have missed
Work with the RI Senior Analyst, Stewardship and Research to support stewardship activities.
• Ensure that the financial analysis of ESG data are available across the fund
• Lead on the analysis of high ESG / ethical risk sectors to
i) propose investment cases and
ii) define criteria for exclusion of investments on financial grounds based on specific activities
• Work with the Thematic Team to integrate ESG data into thematic allocations.
• Identification of business models that are likely to be under long-term pressure as a result of ESG factors not being properly priced by the market.
• Oversight of and financial input into the Quant ESG funds.
• Provide expert ESG focused financial analysis to fund managers / analysts and act as the primary point of contact for portfolio managers and analyst requests for financial analysis of ESG factors
• Participate in company engagements, setting objectives and track outcomes
Work with Head of ISA and other RI team members on the inclusion of ESG data in asset allocation decisions.
Lead relationship with sell side for ESG analysis
Work closely with the RI Senior Analyst, Stewardship and Research, provision of ESG Analysis to support in depth engagements to address RI concerns in public market investments
Lead on interaction with the Quant team on integration of ESG data into factor funds
Managing Processes & Future Focus
Ensure that ESG information is provided to analysts and fund managers in a timely and appropriate manner
Potentially the identification of mis-valued ESG opportunities / exemplars.
• Strong financial analytical background / CFA
• A strong interest in and understanding of Responsible Investment issues
• A strong interest in RI
• Experience of working in and/or for a fund management house or financial institution
• Demonstrable experience in engaging with senior executives
• Strong financial analytical skills
• A relevant degree
• Experience of managing and prioritising a diverse and demanding workload and meeting deadlines
• Understanding of key good practice standards of RI
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.