FP&A Planning and Performance Manager
Business Area: Finance
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
Responsible for facilitating the translation of USS purpose and business strategy into a series of medium term and in year objectives, demonstrating the alignment of the supporting financial plans and budgets with these objectives and the underpinning strategy. Produce the 3 Year Plan, Defined Contribution (DC) Business Plan, Annual Business Plan and Budget documents for Executive and Board committees and the USSL and USSIM Boards.
• Play a leading role in the strategic planning process, including the creation of the 3 Year Plan, the DC business plan, the annual Business Plan and Budget
• Facilitate the translation of agreed strategy into medium term and in year objectives, supporting and guiding business leaders across the 3 business segments in the creation of their objectives aligned with the USS purpose and strategy
• Produce all required business plan documents for Executive and Board audiences. Create a compelling narrative that demonstrates the alignment of purpose, strategy, objectives and the supporting financial plan and budget
• Work with colleagues across FP&A in Liverpool and London and the business to ensure that business plan papers provide insight and are supported by the required depth of analysis
• Co-ordinate the creation of a suite of KPIs to demonstrate appropriate business control and the stakeholder impact of the delivery of strategic objectives
• Leverage insight developed in the Pension and Investment segment to develop the Group’s VfM framework. Draw insight from CEM, CTI, bi-lateral cost benchmarking and other initiatives to demonstrate that USS provides stakeholders with a VfM proposition. Demonstrate the linkages with the 3YP and in year objectives to evidence how VfM will continue to be improved
• Produce the annual Review of the Year document, synthesising input from business leaders across the Group into a compelling and balanced narrative
• Undertake an analytical review of regular business performance reporting outputs both for the Investment and Pension segments and the consolidated USS Group picture. Ensure a holistic approach is taken to performance reporting and that the commentary provided by the segment finance teams is accurate and insightful
• As appropriate provide support in strategic or ad hoc projects or requests. Co-ordinate inputs and analysis from colleagues across Finance to provide high quality, insightful outputs
• Support the Head of FP&A and Business Partnering in developing a continuous improvement culture in the FP&A team
• Qualified Accountant - CIMA/ACCA/ACA
• Previous experience within a similar organisation would be desirable
• Proficient in the creation of business plan documents for Executive and non-Executive audiences. Able to translate complex financial data and analysis into a compelling business plan, blending narrative and graphical approaches to tell the story
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Proficient in the use of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills; with a demonstrated ability to build a network outside of Finance
• Communicating & influencing
• Commercial knowledge & focus
• Change & innovation
• Analysing & problem solving
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.