Business Analyst - Business Change
Business Area: Operations
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
To define the scope of projects in conjunction with business sponsors, analyse requirements and specify operational and technical change across USSIM. To take responsibility for providing business analysis across various projects and BAU initiatives, with involvement in activities throughout the full project lifecycle including process definition, system requirements, testing (functional and technical) and implementation.
The successful candidate will be involved in a variety of projects that are either strategic, regulatory or discretionary across the USSIM business areas but with certain emphasis on supporting fixed income and FX investment processes. They will report to the Head of Business Analysis within the USSIM Business Change team.
The BA is expected to provide the analysis that will define the scope, requirements and success criteria for a variety of initiatives, often in support of the Fixed Income and FX teams. They will coordinate input from relevant business areas, liaising with the technology change teams (IMS) where appropriate, to define and document proposed solutions for presentation back to business stakeholders for review and sign-off. The BA will act as a point of contact for business and technical colleagues through to solution delivery.
The individual will be expected to support Business Change Project Managers and USS PMO, with responsibility for tracking against agreed deliverables and timelines, capturing associated risks and issues, escalating to the Project Manager or Head of Business Analysis as appropriate. They may also be required to provide input to project reporting including SteerCo representation.
The key tasks are expected to be:
• Define the scope of the project, agreeing high level aims with stakeholders.
• Define detailed business and systems requirements in conjunction with users and developers.
• Prepare a range of documents and project artefacts as required to suit the task at hand.
• Assess implementation options, influencing stakeholders to select the most appropriate solution.
• Highlight the implications of each solution not only in terms of project delivery but also business value and on-going support or effort levels.
• Document the current state, proposed outcome and target operating model.
• Planning, preparation, participation in and oversight of testing, transition and implementation.
• Assisting with the design and analysis of solutions.
• Liaising with developers to understand technical opportunities and constraints, identify practical solutions, both strategic and tactical where appropriate, and to help prioritise work into releases.
• Analysis and documentation of requirements.
• Formal documentation of design and solutions processes.
• Feasibility analysis.
• Impact assessment of changes.
• RAID log management.
• Develop effective relationships across the business.
• Assist with RFP / selection process for third party vendors where applicable.
• Extensive prior business analysis experience (essential).
• Technical familiarity and experience writing systems documentation (essential).
• Close involvement with fixed income investment teams and systems (strongly preferred).
• Experience of either managing workstreams within large projects or project management of smaller projects (strongly preferred).
• A strong background in financial services, with specific asset management and pensions sector experience (highly desirable).
• Experience of mapping processes, both current and target, with the ability to summarise key elements succinctly for articulation to senior management.
• Good relationship and stakeholder management skills, with an ability to engage with and gain the confidence of others as well as challenge where appropriate.
• Strong communication skills (written, pictorial, presentational and verbal) including the ability to adapt communications to different audiences.
• Logical, structured thought processes and good problem-solving skills.
• Routinely demonstrates a proactive and constructive approach to issue resolution.
• Operates to own exacting standards with attention to the smallest detail.
• Highly competent at prioritisation, process organisation, and management of multiple work-streams
• Ability to deliver high quality work under tight timelines.
• Strong compliance culture and high personal ethical standards.
• Experience of management information typical of that provided to ExCo is desirable.
• Flexible approach to work.
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.