Assistant Team Manager
Business Area: Pensions Operations
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
To support the Team Manager and represent the Team Manager as required whilst also being responsible for a range of specified administrative functions.
• Support the Team Manager in supervising the work of the team and individuals, ensuring quality is maintained and procedures are carried out accordingly
• Produce and present reports to stakeholders as directed by Team Manager
• Carry out, check and authorise automated and manual processes and calculations as required
• Carry out team specific duties and ad-hoc duties as directed by Team Manager
• Support the Team Manager in managing the team resource to comply with required workload using available active management tools (skills matrix, capacity planner, team boards etc.) as appropriate
• Support the Team Manager in ensuring department, statutory and team targets are met
• Collate, maintain and review team statistics and management information in conjunction with Team Manager
• Keep up to date with relevant pension’s topics, legislation and scheme developments to support ongoing personal development
• Work with the Team Manager to lead, engage and support team members. Assist Team Manager in identifying and coordinating training requirements
• Deputise for Team Manager as required
• Support the Team Manager in carrying out annual and interim appraisal on team members
• Support the Team Manager in holding team meetings and cascading relevant information to team
• Represent the team at department and company meetings, workgroups, institution visits and any other meetings as appropriate
• Maintain relations with institution contacts, USS colleagues and regular third-party contacts and support the team in resolving difficult issues with these contacts or with members.
Managing Processes and Future Focus
• Represent the team in driving projects, continuous improvement initiatives and other non-processing events
• Co-ordinate and support testing of process changes and system updates relating to team’s processes.
• Ideally have professional qualifications such as CPC/DPC or PMI
• Excellent understanding of the team’s processes, practices, objectives and targets (including department and statutory deadlines)
• Excellent understanding of the role of the Team Manager to provide necessary support
• Good understanding of the duties and processes carried out by other service delivery teams
• Good knowledge of the pensions administration system used by the department
• Good knowledge of the USS scheme rules, practice and relevant legislation
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recognise the diverse lifestyles and priorities of our employees and have reflected this in in the company’s Flexible Working Framework, which, wherever possible, supports employees to find a balance that works for them whilst ensuring we always put our members’ interests first.