Business Area: Private Markets
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the PMG investment teams and management of PMG’s directly-held portfolio companies within its “Direct Equity” mandates (Private Equity and Infrastructure investments) to maximise returns and preserve value. This will include, as demand dictates, a range of ‘hands on’ asset management activities.
The successful candidate will also have day-to-day responsibility for coordinating PMG’s quarterly valuation process, working alongside other PMG stakeholders and our internal and external valuers. In this capacity, the successful candidate will also be expected to oversee PMG’s valuation models, ensuring they remain fit-for-purpose and are consistently executed and managed across PMG.
Own Function (AM) Responsibilities
• Collaborate with the PMG investment teams on pre-execution due diligence relevant to the asset management and/or future operational needs of the target investment
• Through the asset management planning process, work with the investment teams in developing and then challenging business strategy, operational focus and risk management through the definition of appropriate targets (financial and operational)
• Proactively influence, monitor and assess asset performance versus those targets
• Where required, serve as non-executive director of portfolio companies/SPVs within the direct equity mandates
• Contribute to the agenda and key discussion items at the relevant asset management committees and provide constructive challenge
• Initially the role will also support a project to centralise the PMG valuation models within the AM team and will work alongside dedicated project and/or consultant resource to successfully implement this initiative
Broader (PMG) Responsibilities
• Undertake coaching and mentoring of junior members of PMG staff
• Act as an internal and external ambassador for PMG including exhibiting and promoting the PMG Terms of Trade and USSIM cultural values
• Extensive, demonstrable track record of asset management of privately-held companies within a Private Equity and/or Infrastructure setting
• Likely to have worked in a similar role in one or more of the following: GP, Pension Fund, Asset / Fund Manager
• Experience within a Financial Services’ consultancy / transaction services’ organisation would also be considered
Skills and Technical Competencies
• Fluency with industry-standard valuation practices, modelling and knowledge of key financial terms
• Highly numerate (Accountancy qualification is considered advantageous but not a necessity)
• Great attention to detail
• Strong verbal and written communication
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player
• Self-starter with ‘can do’ attitude, highly organised and ability to prioritise
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recognise the diverse lifestyles and priorities of our employees and have reflected this in in the company’s Flexible Working Framework, which, wherever possible, supports employees to find a balance that works for them whilst ensuring we always put our members’ interests first.