Alternative Operations Analyst
Business Area: Operations
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
The Operations Department is organised into three teams; Public Markets, Alternatives and Onboarding/ reporting, with this role sitting with the Alternatives team.
The role sits within the Alternative Operations team and is focused on the coordination and completion of all company secretarial duties for our investment special-purpose-vehicles (“SPVs”), as well as providing a unique opportunity to cross train on the operational related components which support the Alternative Investments USS has.
Working under the supervision and guidance of the Assistant Company Secretary, the role will include the following in respect of SPVs:
• Assisting in the incorporation/registration of new entities; for overseas entities, liaise with the Legal Department and/or lawyers and/or company secretarial providers in the relevant jurisdiction
• Maintenance of statutory documentation/files and Blueprint database records.
• With respect to Blueprint, there will be an initial data cleanse project, where this role will play a central role in ensuring the data in Blueprint is complete and accurate, working with other internal stakeholders as required.
• Organising and arranging board meetings as required, ensuring appropriate timetabling per the yearly planner
• Preparing and drafting board minutes and shareholder resolutions for both ad hoc and routine matters
• Attending board/committee meetings as required and fulfilling all company secretarial responsibilities
• Preparing the statutory returns or overseeing compliance by company secretarial providers in the relevant jurisdiction
• Assisting in the preparation of statutory accounts as required ensuring proper process for approvals
• Implementing and maintaining delegation schedules for all SPV entities;
• Ensuring compliance with the Companies Act and regulatory requirements for relevant companies and directors;
• Implementing and coordinating the director training programme for SPV directors;
• Overseeing the appointment of new SPV or Investment related directors, in accordance with the director selection and appointment framework.
• Overseeing relationships with third party company secretarial providers and perform due diligence of those providers, as appropriate
• Responding to KYC requests, in connection with new deals or existing assets.
• Liaising with stakeholders post deal, to ensure all relevant company data is captured in Blueprint.
Delivery existing business
• Responsible for asset set up, settlement instruction maintenance. Confirmation of an initiation of cash flows.
• Management of the efficient funding of the mandates requesting FX transactions and generation of subscriptions / redemptions and distributions
• Liaison with the Public markets funding function
• Complete cash and stock reconciliations daily and escalate as appropriate
• Complete Rift process and escalate issues as appropriate
• Operate with minimal errors
• Report any events within 24 hours into accelerate
• Deliver data for Weekly operating Report
• Prepare slides for the Alternative operations oversight meeting
• Look for training opportunities to enhance skills
• Improve personal skill matrix score each year
• Build a strong relationship across the internal supply chain from initiation to delivery with all areas. Drive solutions that are scalable and controlled.
• Develop close working relationships with third party service partners
Skills & Experience:
• Qualified or part-qualified company secretary with financial services experience
• Experience of SPVs / managing a mixed portfolio of companies across multiple jurisdictions
• Proficient with Blueprint
• Deal implementation experience, providing governance support for new investments
• A depth of product knowledge across multiple products (Private Equity, debt, both direct and through funds)
• Awareness of different type of fund structuring (Ltd, LLC, LP etc)
• Strong organisational skills
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.