Asset Manager (Equities), Private Markets
Business Area: Private Markets
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
Working alongside PMG’s “Direct Equity” investment teams (Private Equity and Infrastructure) and the management teams of PMG’s directly-held portfolio companies, the successful candidate will join a growing team of asset managers who are focused on maximising returns and preserving value. This will include, as demand dictates, a range of ‘hands on’ asset management activities including board responsibilities within select portfolio companies.
PMG’s Direct Equity portfolio includes ownership of some of the UK’s largest and most recognisable private companies including Heathrow Airport, Thames Water and Moto as well as companies based in the EU, North America and Australia.
• Collaborate with the PMG investment teams on pre-execution due diligence relevant to both the investment case for acquiring the asset as well as to ongoing asset management considerations
• Define future operating needs and value levers for newly-acquired portfolio companies across people, capital and sustainability themes including definition and execution of a 100-day plan
• Through the asset management planning process, partner with the portfolio company management teams in developing key strategic business and operational goals with appropriate KPIs (financial, operational and ESG-related including carbon net zero)
• Proactively influence, monitor and assess asset performance versus those goals / KPIs as well as identifying and mitigating key risks
• Where required, serve as a non-executive director on selected PMG portfolio companies and/or work alongside co-shareholders
• Contribute to and help drive the agenda and key discussion items at the relevant asset management committees and provide constructive challenge to other investment and asset management professionals
Broader (PMG) Responsibilities
• Undertake coaching and mentoring of less senior members of PMG staff
• Act as an internal and external ambassador for PMG including exhibiting and promoting the PMG Terms of Trade and USSIM cultural values
• Extensive, demonstrable track record of asset management of privately-held companies within a Private Equity and/or Infrastructure setting
• Prior Board experience or exposure to boards
• Likely to have worked in a similar role in one or more of the following: GP, Pension Fund, Asset / Fund Manager
• Experience within a Financial Services’ consultancy / transaction services’ organisation would be considered
Skills and Technical Competencies
• Fluency with industry-standard valuation practices, modelling and knowledge of key financial terms
• Highly numerate (Accountancy qualification is considered advantageous but not a necessity)
• Great attention to detail
• Strong verbal and written communication
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player who can build strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Self-starter with ‘can do’ attitude, highly organised and ability to prioritise
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recognise the diverse lifestyles and priorities of our employees and have reflected this in in the company’s Flexible Working Framework, which, wherever possible, supports employees to find a balance that works for them whilst ensuring we always put our members’ interests first.