Application Support Analyst
Business Area: Operations
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
To support the wide range of systems developed and or/implemented by the Investment and Market Systems
(IMS) team. The candidate will be expected to develop both their technical and system domain knowledge, to allow the Support Team to become more autonomous and reduce dependencies on the Development Team. Although not a primary responsibility, providing support to Bloomberg and other vendor applications would be expected when required.
The candidate will require a technical background, as we look to build the technical capability of the Support Team (e.g. Monitoring, Job Schedulers, Testing, etc.)
• Act as “Level 2 Support” for any issue or query raised against an IMS Application. This involves
o Problem Solving
o Being proactive
o Taking ownership of issues until resolution
o Create “Knowledge Base” articles, so that solutions to known issues and application knowledge can be shared across IMS
• Manage and resolve all issues and queries within Service Level Agreements set in the Application Support Team.
• Troubleshoot technical problems through reading and understanding code
• Resolve complex issues by debugging and stepping through code
• Investigate and resolve data issues by understanding application data and writing SQL
• Make use of Support best practices based on ITIL and other industry recognized frameworks
• Reduce the support responsibility of the Development team
• Monitoring of production jobs (scheduled tasks) and responding to issues/failures
• Flexible in working patterns to ensure support coverage during the working day.
• Provide support to Bloomberg and other vendor applications when required.
• Provide regular, timely updates to stakeholders during issue investigation and resolution.
• Manage expectations of users and IMS management if SLA cannot be achieved, including proposed mitigation and/or workaround.
• Escalate issues as required to IMS and Business management.
Managing Processes & Future Focus
• Take a proactive view to the work that is performed within Application Support, identifying and implementing improvements that increase efficiency within the team
• Working with the IMS developers to implement long term solutions to known support pinch points
• Producing and maintaining support documentation and procedures
• Contributing to the design phases of new initiatives to ensure an effective support model will be in place from the outset.
• Maintaining and supporting Cloud based servers (Azure)
• Creating or Supporting test environments, test scripts and automated testing procedures
• Contribute to the set up and continual configuration of Monitoring systems
• Experience in a similar Application Support role
• Strong technical background (either degree or previous employment)
• Experienced in databases and writing SQL to resolve application issues
• Very good understanding in at least 1 programming language (e.g. Python, PowerShell)
• Understand log files and trace back issues through reading code
• Experience in supporting a NoSQL database (e.g. MongoDB or ElasticSearch)
• Supporting and configuring Cloud servers (e.g. AWS or Azure)
• Experience in the design and setup of a Monitoring system (e.g. ITRS, Splunk, Nagios, SolarWinds)
• Experience of release management processes.
• Experience supporting other financial systems desired
• Ability to deliver high quality work to agreed timelines
• Able to prioritise work and manage multiple work streams
• Ability to share knowledge and experience amongst the team
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.