GEMS Analyst (Chinese Speaking)
Business Area: Equities
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
The Global Emerging Markets team manages the bulk of the Emerging Markets equity assets for the scheme with around £6.5bn under management in direct equities.
The role will be working with the Greater China team focusing on the Greater China sleeve of the main GEMS mandate, as well as the standalone China Thematic fund.
Working closely with the portfolio managers and senior analysts they will undertake fundamental research on companies to support informed, insightful and timely investment recommendations which contribute to the relative outperformance of USSIM’s equity portfolios over rolling 5 year periods.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in all its forms.
• Responsible for the analysis of stocks and sectors under coverage to generate clearly articulated investment cases and stock recommendations to the Portfolio Managers and Senior Analysts on the team for inclusion in the Greater China sleeve of the GEMS mandate and China Thematic fund.
• Develop a strong understanding of various valuation techniques and ability to build financial models in order to provide estimates of intrinsic stock value
• Develop an awareness of the key ESG issues and their valuation implications on our existing and potential holdings
• Monitor active portfolio exposures to identify where the fundamentals and/or our confidence in the assumptions/hypotheses underpinning the investment case may be changing
• Build a strong network of relationships with local analysts
• Keep informed on local news and developments in China at a Stock, Sector and Industry-level as well as domestic policy and regulatory developments. Take the initiative to follow up with local analysts where possible and be able to filter and relay to the team what is relevant to the portfolios
• Participate in meetings with company managements, prepare agendas in advance, maintain and share clear notes with members of the team
• Demonstrate a commitment to investment excellence and display flexibility and initiative in your research approach
Relationship and Communication Responsibilities
• Regular meetings with the Head of GEMS and Senior Portfolio Managers regarding the evolution of the team’s investment research.
• Engage with the Responsible Investment team to support the assessment of extra-financial factors, engagement with companies and policy-makers and uphold USS’ commitment to be an active and responsible owner of assets
• Collaborate with other areas of USSIM such as Credit, Private Markets etc
• Communicate with sell-side analysts, industry experts, consumers and suppliers to support investment analysis
• Participate in meetings with company management in an appropriate manner, maintaining and enhancing USSIM’s reputation as a professional and well-prepared investment team.
• Comply with the Compliance and Procedures manual and have a strong understanding of the broader regulatory environment in which the company operates
• Act in accordance with the principles of the FCA’s Certification Regime and adhere to the Conduct Rules at all times
• Be certified by USSIM as fit and proper to hold the role of Analyst
• Financial background with some understanding of valuation techniques and fundamental analysis
• Strong numerical, reasoning and analytical ability.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to develop productive internal and external relationships
• A strong team player contributing to a supportive and collaborative working environment
• Good work ethic, a self-starter with the ability to think broadly and be responsive to feedback
• Ability to work in the UK with occasional travel to Asia
• Fluent spoken and written Mandarin language skills; additional Chinese dialects would be helpful
• Ability to represent USS externally in a professional manner
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office essential. Knowledge of Bloomberg and Wind would be helpful.
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recognise the diverse lifestyles and priorities of our employees and have reflected this in in the company’s Flexible Working Framework, which, wherever possible, supports employees to find a balance that works for them whilst ensuring we always put our members’ interests first.