Business Area: Finance
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
• Assist with preparation of the Annual Report & Accounts and monthly and quarterly scheme accounting.
• Preparation of statutory accounts for USSIM/USSL including month end accounting.
• Preparation of SPV statutory accounts and being key point of contact for external audit.
• Supporting new investments and the financial control framework.
• Production of financial statements from trial balance
• Preparation of final trial balance and preparation of low risk SPV statutory accounts
• Prepare management accounts on a timely basis
• Execute defined controls, policies and procedures and monitor and address compliance issues on a timely basis
• Performing appropriate calculations and providing accounting information to support SPV distributions.
• Review of SPV statutory accounts prepared by third parties to ensure accuracy and consistency of information provided.
• Review and engage with external providers for periodic management accounts to ensure accuracy and timeliness for board reporting.
• Finalise monthly valuation schedule provided by FinVal incorporating other SPV balances
• Track and manage supplier relationships and variance costs against budgets
• Prepare bonus forecast and posting of accruals
• Prepare delegated balance sheet reconciliations
• Preparation of quarterly TB for scheme accounts
• Preparation of contribution accounting journals and reconciliations
• Provide detailed plan for external audit schedule for SPVs
• Key point of contact for SPV queries and information requests
• Supporting the Product Controller with the development of processes and systems capable of generating consistent and meaningful reporting of SPVs
• Prepare reporting on a monthly basis of key control sign offs
• Update documentation for new or amended controls as required
• Maintain a technical knowledge of applicable accounting standards and legislative requirements relating to investment management and entity accounting
• Develop and maintain close working relationships with other USS staff with SPV responsibility (including Cosec, Compliance and others)
• Qualified ACCA/ACA
• Excellent technical accounting knowledge and application experience in production of statutory accounts
• A credible finance professional capable of interpreting and representing the organisation’s interests in discussions and challenges with auditors
• A self-motivated individual who works collegiately within the team
• Knowledge and experience of financial systems, accounting processes and controls
• Strong service improvement focus to drive changes in practice or behaviours
• Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills
• Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s ethos and values
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.