Investment risk analyst
Business Area: PAIR
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
Supporting the production of investment risk reports for the pension fund as a whole, individual portfolios/mandates and providing analysis to help stakeholders on decision making.
Assist with day-to-day production of risk analysis and reports across investment risk spectrum and multi-assets.
provide reasoning and narratives on changes of risk.
Provide analytical support for ad-hoc requests internally from PAIR and externally across USS.
Contribute to delivery of projects from end-to-end, including planning, gathering requirements and testing.
Assist with the implementation & enhancement of automated reporting within the PAIR team.
Managing Systems and Technology
Work closely with Investment Management System (IMS)/Operations to ensure controlled delivery of risk results and projects through the whole system.
Provide quality control on risk input and output data.
Work closely with front office to ensure new or complex instruments can be captured correctly in risk management system.
Develop deep understanding of USS technology in order to identify system impacts from new initiatives.
Managing Processes & Future Focus
Cooperate closely with other team members in PAIR and other teams (Investment Strategy Advisory/Investment Product Management/IMS) to identify potential process improvements.
Automate and redesign processes to achieve efficient risk reporting, attribution and analysis.
Build relationships with Front Office, Investment Management System, Operations, and the wider organisation to enable the team to work more effectively.
• Experience 1+ years in asset management or finance preferred, with practical experience in technology.
• Knowledge of investment risk at least on market risk.
• Degree in a STEM related subject (ideally with a finance/risk management master) or Quantitative Finance.
• Knowledge of at least one programming language
o Python/SQL/VBA preferred
o Knowledge of other languages considered
• Comfortable working with data and conducting analyses.
• Able to solve problems independently.
• Knowledge of multi-asset classes.
• Understanding of financial markets and instruments gained through courses or experience.
• Understanding of risk and performance measurement for an asset manager or pension fund.
• Experience of using standard risk systems. Ideally MSCI Risk Manager or Barra One.
• Strong knowledge of Excel.
• Experience in presenting reports, results, etc.
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.