Company Secretarial Coordinator
Business Area: Group General Counsel
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
To deliver high-quality support to the Governance and Company Secretarial team and the company secretaries that support the Boards and Committee of USS Investment Management Limited (‘USSM’) and Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited (‘USSL’).
1 Board and meeting support – agendas, reports and meeting facilitation
• Produce board and committee meeting packs. This includes requests for and collation of meeting papers, referencing and formatting meeting papers, use of an electronic board meeting pack system and general support to the Secretary for the meeting.
• Carry out quality control processes for reports and associated documents prior to despatch.
• Printing of board and committee papers and arranging post/courier distribution.
• Maintain team document templates (reports, minutes, trackers, actions logs etc.)
• Draft standard meeting administration reports for board and committee meetings.
• Create meeting agendas, template minutes and chair briefings (with supervision and support).
• File meeting minutes and resolutions.
• Arrange training for boards and committees (with guidance)
2 Meeting facilitation
• Organise board and committee meeting dates, and carry out tasks required in the effective facilitation of meetings e.g. room booking and catering arrangements, calendar invites, updating meeting schedules
• Maintain meeting schedules and communicate any changes to relevant individuals. This will include contacting non-executive board and committee members and general diary management.
3 Director/Committee member appointments
• Support the governance team in relation to director and committee member appointments, including
o Organising induction training;
o Ensuring on-boarding formalities are completed, relevant procedures followed and checklists are filled in
o Notifying relevant teams (e.g. Finance and Web Team)
o Update director and board/committee composition records
• Creating first draft appointment letters using template documents
4 Co sec general administration
• Maintain company registers and director register of interests.
• Maintenance of statutory books.
• Maintenance and updating of registers on Blueprint and Companies House filings.
• Maintain committee membership and composition records.
• Carry out all soft and hard filing for the team in London.
• Assist the team in effectively implementing the policy and procedures of the governance framework.
• Assist the team in the governance oversight of the relevant board and committees they support.
• Maintain annual plans for board and relevant committees and produce reports on such as required.
• Provide administrative assistance where required in relation to audit actions or information requests from auditors.
• Support other team members in the delivery of and contribute to team initiatives and projects.
• Deal efficiently and confidentially with internal and external correspondence, emails and telephone calls. Filtering, prioritising and actioning as appropriate.
• Liaise with Executives and their PAs to ensure prompt follow up of actions/outstanding issues following board and committee meetings.
• Work with and provide cover for the other Company Secretarial Co-ordinator and Team Secretary.
• Maintain team procedures on request
• Arranging purchase orders and payment of supplier invoices.
• Arranging Board/Committee dinners and hotel bookings
• Collect and collate governance performance information, such as KPIs for all meetings organised.
• Ability to organise work that may include a diverse range of issues and tasks.
• Willingness to collaborate with and support colleagues, working as part of a team.
• Professional attitude and manner.
• Attention to detail
• Results-oriented and persistent in pursuing objectives.
• Self-motivated and able to demonstrate initiative.
• Flexible to work longer hours when necessary and ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
• Willingness to travel to Liverpool on occasion.
• Thrives on challenge.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience of working within a company secretariat team, ideally within the financial services industry
• Ideally, Institute of Chartered Secretaries qualification (or equivalent), or working towards this
• Ideally, experienced in using paperless meeting pack software and Blueprint
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.