Head of Alternative Operations
Business Area: Operations
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
To provide strategic direction and provision of Operational support to the private markets team activities. Responsible for the efficient day to day running of the Operational support to ensure the investment business is fully supported in a controlled environment.
• Review of Operational support design, propose and implement change
• Migrate functions into team maintaining control
• Assess team capability, cross skill where required to ensure depth of cover. Support career development of team members.
• Build cross function communication, ensuring all parties have the information they require
• Be a valued member of the initiation stages of new investments influencing design to facilitate a smooth operating model
• Assess 3rd party service providers and drive on going monitoring and formal performance reporting
• Meet all HR deadlines for appraisal and objective setting for team members
• Manage headcount, budget and external fees by regular review and reporting
• Build a strong relationship with all levels of the PMG team
• Work with the operations management team and wider Support team in identifying risks and the delivery of enhanced controls
• Build relationship with 3rd party service providers
• First-hand knowledge of private market assets
• Experienced people manager with a track record of developing and managing people through objective setting and appraisal processes
• Asset management/ Finance background
• Strong interpersonally
• Attention to detail
• Can do attitude
• Capability to build relationships with key stakeholders
• High standard of written communication and reporting
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.